Gender Discrimination Attorney in Los Angeles
Gender Discrimination in the Workplace is Illegal
Working with a Los Angeles Gender Discrimination Lawyer
Employers rarely, if ever, admit to wrongdoing to avoid liability. Do not be discouraged. A skilled gender discrimination attorney can nonetheless help you prove your story and obtain the restitution you deserve.
By contacting our firm, you will gain an advocate on your side that will build your case while remaining supportive throughout the process. You will work with an attorney who will keep you informed and will never be out of touch when needed. Good client relations result in good outcomes.
What is Gender Discrimination?
Generally, gender discrimination occurs when your employer treats you worse because of your sex, gender related appearance and/or behavior. While men may also be victims of gender discrimination, women are more often affected.
What Legally Qualifies as Gender Discrimination?
Gender discrimination manifests itself in different ways. Below are some examples of gender discrimination:
- You are demoted or fired for actions or attributes your employer tolerates in individuals of the opposite sex
- You earn less than your male counterparts/members of the opposite sex for similar work
- You are passed over for promotion, while members of the opposite sex receive favorable treatment
- You are denied the same opportunities, coveted assignments, and other benefits that other members of the opposite sex receive
- You are subjected to harassment because of your gender
- You are relegated to roles/assignments based on stereotypes associated with gender. For example, women are often relegated to supporting roles while leadership positions are reserved for male counterparts.
- You have to take on more responsibilities than your male counterparts for the same pay
How to Prove Gender Discrimination
Gender discrimination can be proven in many ways. Relevant evidence includes, but is not limited to, whether there is a pattern or practice of gender discrimination. Comparator evidence, e.g., your male co-worker is treated better than you as exemplified above, is also relevant. Some workplaces are also permeated with gender biased remarks. Many industries throughout Los Angeles, including but not limited to, tech, entertainment, accounting, and even the legal industry, continue to be plagued by the boy’s club mentality. Failure to follow policies and procedures may also be indicative of gender discrimination. By working with a Los Angeles gender discrimination attorney, you will find additional evidence you need to prove your case.
Retaliation for Reporting Gender Discrimination
Employers often respond to accusations of gender discrimination by taking the offense is the best defense position accusing you of misconduct instead of investigating reported civil rights violations. If you are retaliated against for complaining of gender discrimination, then you may have an additional claim of retaliation. You may also have an additional claim of defamation if your earned reputation is attacked.
Types of Compensation Available to Los Angeles Gender Discrimination Victims
- Loss of past and future earnings
- Damages on impact to your career trajectory
- Compensation for emotional and mental distress
- We can also seek injunctive relief prohibiting employer from continuing to violate the law
- Any other relief the Court deems necessary and/or applicable to your case
Gender Discrimination FAQ
Yes. Gender discrimination laws protect men and women equally.
Individuals who lost their job are often unable to pay legal fees and court costs to pursue their claims. We represent individuals on a contingency basis, meaning we are not paid legal fees unless we win.
For some gender discrimination claims, you cannot sue your employer without first obtaining a Right to Sue letter. We highly recommend that you hire a gender discrimination attorney to assist you throughout every step of the process.